Thursday, March 8, 2012

Luke & Leia (and the late Charlie....RIP)

So, I will continue on my trend of funny animal stories, as a friend has followed my rat story with her equally very funny chincilla story. 

I am a bleeding heart when it comes to animals....I admit it.  My husband is NOT a cat guy.  At.all.  I really, really wanted a cat.  One day, while visiting PetSmart by myself, a girl walked in with three of the teeniest little kittens I have ever seen.  She had found them in a cardboard box behind her workplace.  They were covered in fleas, matted fur, eyes had just opened and were pretty crust....I mean, what's not to love?  So, I did exactly what I knew my husband would totally understand (NOT), and I bought syringes and cat formula, and I brought one of them home.  She was so young, she could barely walk.  Here's one of her first pics....
I syringe fed her for almost a month, and obviously fell in love.  Let me say that my husband and I really and truly rarely fight or even argue.  That changed the day I brought this cat home for about three months.  To say that he was mad at me would be an understatement.  But, I won.  The boys named her Leia (as in Princess).  While she is now full-grown at almost 3 years old, she is the smallest cat I have ever had.  And she's a total diva.  Completely psychotic and anti-social to anyone but me. 

The boys, several years ago, decided that they wanted parakeets.  Again, this is something that I indulged them with really without a whole lot of permission with the hubby, so he wasn't very happy.....again......  They named them Luke (as in Skywalker) and Charlie (as in....Charlie).  As we have a St. Bernard, I put the bird cage in what I thought was the safest place possible--on the top of the boys dresser.  The day after I bought the parakeets, we came home from work/school.  My youngest walked into his bedroom and quickly announced, "Mom, Charlie's dead!!!"  My initial thoughts were, "Oh, no...the new environment must have been too much for him.  Shucks."  But before I could even finish my thoughts, youngest child declared, ".....and he's laying right here on the floor!!!"   HUH?  I walked into the bedroom, and sure enough, what was LEFT of Charlie was on the floor.  Here's the crazy part--- the cage, still completely intact with the door closed, was still on the dresser.  Luke was just as happy and safe as can be.  I have absolutely no idea how Charlie got out, but I am pretty clear about what happened after he got out.  (Enter St. Bernard with tail tucked and guilty expression.....)

Ironically, Charlie happened to belong to my youngest child, who also happened to be the owner of the three rats that died in a row on us.  My oldest's animals always seem to be just fine.  My youngest's drop like flies. 

So, Luke & Leia are still happy members of our family.  Well, most of the time......
Yes, that is Luke's tail in Leia's mouth. 

No comments:

Post a Comment