Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Myths about Rats

So, I am the proud owner of two little rats--one Dumbo rat and one Fancy rat.  My children decided that they wanted them for Christmas, and so they got them.  Well, I should say that they got two Dumbo's.  The original two were Stuart and Scabbers.  Stuart lasted 17 days before passing.  He was then replaced by one that we did not name, which is a good thing, because he died 9 days later.  He was replaced by Stuart II, who also lasted 9 days.  All three of our deceased rats were Dumbos (called such because their ears are lower set than a normal rats' and are bigger).  We decided after Stuart II died that we would try one last time, but we would switch it up and get a Fancy rat.  We named this one Rocky.  He has now survived over three weeks, and is living happily in the cage with Scabbers.  So, myth #1 is that rats are impossible to kill.  My hubby and I have successfully proven that this is not the case.  Bring them to my house--they just drop dead. 

Myth #2:  Rats enjoy swimming and generally like the water.  I tried to bathe my stinky pee-smelling rats today.  I started with Scabbers, as Rocky is still pretty timid and freaks out quite easily.  I gently placed Scabbers in the tub that had about 1/2" of water in the bottom.  I learned that, from a standing still position, a rat can jump straight into the air about a foot and a half high.  He very nearly caught a hold of my face trying to get out of the tub.  In addition, we will claw and scratch and climb your bare arm in about a half of a second to get out of the water.  So, no--not ALL rats enjoy swimming OR like water. 

Myth #3:  Rats do not bite.  This is both true and false.  I have not yet, in my two and a half months of owning pet rats, had any of them bite me to the point of drawing blood or even hurting significantly at all.  Nor have any of my family members or any friends that have come over to play with the rats.  They are very friendly.  However, I assure you that if you've just eaten a bag of Doritos or had a great taco dinner, you can be certain that there will be a little nibble of your fingers if you stick your hands anywhere near that cage. 

I will say that I have come to absolutely adore my rats, particularly Scabbers.  I know it sounds crazy, and people give me the most ridiculous looks when I tell them that I have pet rats.  But they are a lot of fun to watch, and they are very, very smart.  I have truly enjoyed playing with them and getting to know them.  Now, let's just hope that these two last.  Otherwise, I will officially rename my blog "The Exterminator's World." 
This is Scabbers, eating a piece of dog food, sitting in the hood of my sweatshirt on my shoulder. 

1 comment:

  1. I would really like to comment on your blog. Unfortunately, I have no rat-related tidbits to share. We once had a chinchilla, which I always thought was kind of like a super soft rat that jumped like a crazy wind up toy. His name was Garth. That's all I've got.

    ReplyDelete