Thursday, May 10, 2012

What you can get done in a Four-Day weekend

So, because I work ridiculous hours, I am not one of the many people who get to enjoy simple pleasures like weekends because, well, I work most of them.  Let alone a four-day weekend, because my industry recognizes no holiday except Christmas and Thanksgiving (and I doubt that I will get Thanksgiving off for much longer).  However, this past weekend, I got four straight days off--Saturday through Tuesday--and I was reminded how very much you can get done in a situation like that.  Here is my level of productivity over the course of my four-day weekend:

1.  Got to spend time with SEVERAL friends I haven't spent time with in a long time. 
2.  Got to spend time with both of my brothers, twice.  And one of them, a third time.
3.  Fixed the two broken windows on my car.
4.  Sanded, buffed, compounded, and waxed my entire car.  With the exception of the gaping dent in the rear bumper thanks to some idiot that cannot see a parked car, my ten year old car literally looks brand new. 
5.  Vacuumed the interior of my car, armor-all'ed the vinyl, and scrubbed the carpet.  (FYI--coffee spilled in gray interior does not come out....)
6.  Finished three homework assignments.
7.  Went to three baseball games for my boys--we won two of them.
8.  Did five hundred loads of laundry.  Okay, maybe not five hundred.  Maybe more like one hundred.  Regardless, we hadn't done laundry in five years over a week, so it was a LOT.  Folded and put up all of it (that right there is the biggest celebration).
9.  This deserves its own recognition--I matched every single one of the socks that I could find a match to.  I am, admittedly, one of those people who would rather just buy a new pack of socks than match socks.  We are that family that has a basket of communal socks that you have to dig through every morning to find a match and usually just go with whatever as long as they're the same color.  The result of buying new socks vs. matching the ones you've got is that, when you do decide to match them, you have enough socks to clothe the U.S. Army.  Seriously.  Between my husband and I alone, we have four sock drawers.  Utterly ridiculous. 
10.  Tried a new dinner recipe.  McCormick spices now has these little spice cards that have a recipe with a bunch of little spices included.  Totally cool.  For all I know, these things have been around for ages, but I just discovered them and they are awesome.  I am a horrible cook, and I need all the help I can get.  Anyway, it tried the quesadilla casserole.  Not the greatest thing I've ever had, but not terrible.  Totally easy to make, though, which is definitely a plus. 
11.  Got a lesson on baby-making from my four year old niece (who, by the way, is an expert on practically everything in the most hysterical way possible).  I learned that mothers "poop out" their babies.  I don't know where she got this from, nor did I ask.  Honestly, I couldn't, between my hysterical laughter and utter shock.  Pretty freaking funny. 
12.  Caught up on all my shows--watched three episodes of Total Blackout (I swear, the funniest new show on TV), six episodes of The Voice, and two episodes of American Idol (did they REALLY vote off SKYLAR?!?!).  Also, set up the DVR to catch one of my other guilty pleasures--Animal Hoarders.  Couldn't set it up to catch just the plain Hoarders show, as the new season doesn't start until the 28th.  Darn.  I love these two shows.  They make me feel so much better about being an animal lover and extremely poor house keeper.  Lol.....
13.  Spent a lot of precious time with the ones I love most--my hubby, my kids, my family, and my friends. 

All in all, I had a really great weekend.  Yes, I realize that I'm posting this on a Thursday, and the weekend's been long gone by now, but it really was a glorious four days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment